The objectives of spiritual development are:
- Creating an awareness of self and of God, and an understanding of the meaning and purpose of life.
- Creating a yearning for communion with God (dua), turning to Him constantly (tawba) and desiring to worship and serve Him alone (ibada).
- Developing a deep sense of gratitude (shukr) to God for all His blessings and mercy, and an inner devotion and humbleness (khushu).
- Creating a higher and noble vision; raising oneself above the self and material things.
- Creating a compassionate, merciful and soft heart for other people; a deep desire to support and care for others.
- Controlling negative emotions and feelings (for example, arrogance greed, selfishness, envy, etc.) that harden and corrupt the soul, character and conduct.