Al-Shams (The Sun)
Chapter 91: Verse 10
The Arabic word al-khaibah has many aspects to it, including:
1) weakness in one's soul, as the soul does not have the strength and courage to follow what it knows is the truth;
2) hesitation and confusion as every time it wants to do good, the soul drags it back down and fights it;
3) true psychological humiliation as he is worshipping something that has no benefit to it and it is not worthy of a human being to be worshipping something of that nature;
4) cowardice and stinginess as his soul knows that he is disobeying his Lord and he cannot look forward to anything positive; hence, he has to hang on to his life and everything that he possesses in the strongest fashion;
5) loss of modesty and dignity as his soul drives him to do shameless acts to the point that he accepts them, supports them and loses all shame concerning them.
This is all part of the reality that happens to him in this world. And that is all much less than the disgrace that he will face in the Hereafter.
"Purification of the Soul: Concept, Process and Means" - Jamaal al-Din M. Zarabozo, pp. 478, 475